I love throwing parties, and Independence Day is no exception. But while everyone else is throwing their star-spangled soirees, we are throwing a shindig based on one of America’s greatest treasures
This 1996 gem is a mainstay, so you probably won’t even need to purchase the movie. Just turn on the TV. It’s almost definitely on. Probably playing several times in a row, if we’re being honest.
- You might be able to scare up some posters on Ebay and Amazon, or you could print up some stills of the film all over your home. Make sure to place President Whitmore in a place of honor.
- You could also easily scrounge VHS copies of the film at any thrift store. If you can round up two or four you can surround a vase with them to make a lovely centerpiece. In the vase, either go with traditional flowers, or (my recommendation) glow sticks or depending on your local laws, sparklers.
Food and Drink:
- Boomer’s Pigs in a Blanket:
Wrap 97% fat free hot dogs with reduced-fat biscuit dough, so you can run faster and jump higher, improbably avoiding an exploding tunnel.
- Barbecue, to celebrate the one Steve Hiller thought he should be at
- White (House) Pizza: sure to be destroyed partway through the party!
- Red, White, and Blue Firecracker popsicles- both for the missile imagery and for the ‘Murica imagery.
- Area 51 worms-and-dirt. Just substitute Oreos and chocolate pudding with graham crackers (or the vanilla Oreos) and vanilla pudding. Add some gummy aliens.
- As for beverages? Anything American (classic soda out of the bottle, lemonade, etc.) or on fire (the flaming shot of your choice) would be more than appropriate.
At the end of your party, please be sure to play music from the most corpulent singer you can find, because it ain’t over until the fat lady sings.
Then go see some fireworks. After all, Captain Hiller promised us fireworks.