It’s almost Valentine’s Day, and you know what that means: love is in the air. And the couple that cosplays together stays together. So what do you do when it’s time to show the world your super-powered love?
What you need to ask yourself:
- How much work are we willing to do?
- If the above answer is “not much,” how much money are we willing to spend?
- Am I okay with one of us switching genders?
- What do we both love enough to devote time/ money to being?
Admittedly, most of these pairings are guy/guy or guy/girl- next month, we’re going to talk about pairs and groups for ladies only. Keep on the lookout!
Difficulty Level: Easy
Captain Hammer and Dr. Horrible
- For the Captain, all you need are a Captain Hammer T-shirt and the right gloves.
- For Dr. Horrible, a red or white chef’s coat, white or black wellies, and white or black scrub pants are perfect. The goggles are readily available on Etsy and Ebay
Wash and Zoe, Firefly
- For Wash, all you need is a good Hawaiian shirt and khaki cargo pants.
- For Zoe, a long sleeved shirt, long pants, and leather vest and holster can all be found pretty easily online.
Fred and Daphne/ Shaggy and Velma, Scooby-Doo
- For basic, solid color items, check stores like Target and Wal-Mart, which tend to stock the basics pretty cheaply. Thick glasses are a must for Velma
The Venture Brothers
- If you can put together a Fred costume, you can put together a Hank Venture costume.
- Bonus points if you just wear an ill-fitting Batman costume for Hank
Doctors and Companions, Doctor Who
- Incredibly easy to do with street clothes and accessories from any Hot Topic.
Daryl/Carol, Rick/Lori, Glenn/Maggie, The Walking Dead
- Distressed street clothes and a lot of dirt makeup can go a long way.
- Bonus if you can get Daryl’s crossbow involved without breaking convention rules
- Which couple you go as depends on who you naturally look like and what you’re willing to do with makeup and facial hair
Peter Pan and Wendy
- Peter wears a lot of green. Don’t get too hung up on the tights- green skinny jeans can totally work for the character
- Wendy wears a simple nightdress in most incarnations, often blue.
Difficulty Level: Medium
Mermaid Ariel and Prince Eric:
- Eric’s relatively plain outfit makes him the exception to the rule.
- Ariel’s current popularity surge makes her mermaid outfit pretty easy to cobble together out of purple bathing suit tops and green leggings. If you choose human Ariel, all bets are off- her costumes can be tricky, especially her poofy wedding dress
Mario and Peach
- For Mario, a red shirt, overalls, and fake mustache are available pretty easily. Add in a red hat and you’re good to go.
- For Princess Peach, you can either buy the Halloween costume version, or put it together yourself using a wrap skirt and a pink dress. Buy a cute crown, and you’re ready to be in another castle.
Wonder Woman and Superman
- Kids, you’re going to need to go store-bought on this one. They’re labeled “medium” because, simply, the costumes are easy to find. Same goes for Harley Quinn and the Joker, as well as Batman and Robin or Batman and Catwoman
Han Solo and Princess Leia
- We’ve all seen the jokes about the tall boots, flowy white shirts, and black vests being standard issue for girls during the fall and winter- put them to work!
- Princess Leia wears white during A New Hope, and the dress can vary from slinky to flowy, based on your comfort level.
Kirk/ Spock/ Uhura/ Bones, in any combination you deem appropriate
- Starfleet outfits, again, are easy to come by online for relatively inexpensively
Green Arrow and Black Canary
- Green Arrow is pretty easy to pull off with a dark green hoodie (cut the sleeves off neatly!) and a tactical vest. Wear the hood up, don a mask, and grab a prop bow.
- Canary is a little bit more difficult, and she’s the reason this couple falls into “medium.” You may need to check out web sites such as Corset Story and Frederick’s of Hollywood to find the appropriate bodysuit, since the leather look is essential. Fishnets and boots can be bought pretty much anywhere you go.
Difficulty Level: Expert
For all of these, you’re either going to need some serious skills or some major coin.
Any Disney Princess and Disney Prince (see exception in MEDIUM)
- Many of the princess costumes are available on Ebay or Etsy, but be wary and make sure to be honest with yourself while measuring.
- For some of the smaller ladies, you might be able to wiggle into the Disney Store’s costumes.
Nightwing and Batgirl
- Batgirl is easily store-bought, but Nightwing is much more of a challenge to find.
Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask
Link and Zelda
- Link is easy to put together on the surface, but has a LOT of iconic accessories.
- Zelda is just plain hard. Her dresses are beautiful and complex, not to mention the ears, hair, and accessories!
Are you limited to these? Absolutely not! This is by no means a comprehensive list. I’ve seen couples go as almost any combination, from Kermit and Piggy to Jon Snow and Ygritte.